The art of recognizing fabrics isn’t something i posses or particularly pay attention to. I mean, i can recognize some fabrics but there are a whole lot of fabrics out there that i know because i see them often but have no idea what they are called. You might be wondering why i chose to talk about recognizing fabrics on the blog today. I recently read a post on how to fix a boucle snag in last week’s Ifb links a la mode (which featured my post on how to use an editorial calendar to improve your blog).
Honestly, i had no idea what boucle (pronounced as boo-clay) was before that post as it was my first time of seeing the word (
Onyinye, really? yes, i know right! i must have been living under a rock). It was the first post i read from the roundup because i wanted to know what the hell boucle was and of course we learn new things and words daily. On opening the post, i realized it was a fabric i already knew but didn’t know the correct name.
I basically shop by either sticking to same type of fabrics i already own or any fabric that looks like it doesn’t require ironing, i hate ironing. I’ve actually never really giving identifying fabrics a second thought, i don’t know how people that aren’t into cloth making or work in fashion (where they see and use different fabrics daily) recognize fabrics and can tell their names. That’s the reason the title of this post is “The art of recognizing fabrics”, lol i see it as a special skill!
Links à la Mode, February 18
- Al Balsam Life: Diana Vreeland on Love
- Alive as Always: No-Bake Cheesecake in a Jar | 3 Ways
- Attire Club: A Look at the Men of 2016 Grammy Awards
- Christie Moeller: How to Fix a Boucle Snag
- DressCode:HighFashion: Fashion Trend Overview S/S 16
- Everyday Starlet: Top 5 Wedding Dress Shopping Tips
- Fashion Moriarty: 5 Floral Shirts for Valentine’s Day
- I’m a Norbyah: Prints | More is More
- Lady Goodman: The Imminent Rise of Direct to Consumer Shows
- Les Assorties: Vernez | A Platform Calling Out Aspiring Fashion Editors
- Modavracha: How to Use an Editorial Calendar to Improve Your Blog Content
- Mox and Socks: Meet Mox, My Incredible Dog
- Petite Silver Vixen: 15 Reasons to Wear a Beret!
- Prime Butterfly: Macy’s Celebrates Black History Month
- Rain of Peonies: Shorts in Winter | Pourquoi Pas? good but 11 photos
- Rolala Loves: Why I don’t Celebrate Valentine’s Day & Choose Love Everyday
- Savage Gazelle: 10 Essentials For a Chic Winter Wardrobe
- Style Context: NYFW F/W 2016 | Lovely Gowns at Leanne Marshall
- The Classy Junk: How to Use Pinterest to Create a Personal Valentine’s Day Look
- We Are Ready Made: Keta Gutmane
Talking of recognizing fabrics, i believe the only thing i know about recognizing fabrics besides reading their tags or the popular obvious ones like cotton, lace, wool, suede, denim etc is how to easily spot poor quality seams. Poor me 🙁 Also i read an article earlier in the year on how to look expensive for less by simply buying certain fabrics, i should definitely start learning the art of recognizing fabrics and pay more attention.
Do you posses the art of recognizing fabrics?
Thanks for stopping by as always
Have a great week ahead!
*If you liked this post, you will like….