This Skinfood rice mask review feels a bit premature but I think 3 weeks is enough to review it properly after casually mentioning it in my first impressions post. I’ve been using it twice a week since then and the effect i initially noticed has been the same so i’ll be sharing what i think so far. Read: my first rice skincare product.
Before continuing this skinfood rice mask review, i’ll like to point out a few facts and uses of rice on skin, in case you didn’t know that there was more to rice than eating it (hello #jollofrice lovers!). If you are a Korean beauty addict like me or just a skincare enthusiast, then you must have come across rice products for skin.
Uses Of Rice On Skin
- Rice contains a high concentration of para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) which is a very good sunscreen. Rice also contains two other sun protecting agents – ferulic acid and allantoin.
- Ferulic acid is an antioxidant. Research shows that its sun protection ability doubles when combined with vitamins C and E. Research also shows that Ferulic acid may be effective at preventing cancer induced by exposure to the carcinogenic compound benzopyrene (found in cigarette smokes, coal tar, forest fires etc).
- Allantoin is a good anti-inflammatory agent which also soothes sunburns and promotes skin’s repair like PABA. It is also a moisturizer to treat or prevent dry, rough, scaly, itchy skin and minor skin irritations.
- Rice is rich in inositol (formerly Vitamin B8, a part of B vitamins family) that helps promote cell growth, slows down the aging process and stimulates blood flow. This is perfect to tighten pores and add glow to the face.
So, next time you might want to consider using your rice for more than food especially if you struggle with blemishes and dark marks, scars that you want to get rid of. The good thing is that you can totally do a DIY mask at home. There are a lot of step by step instructions on how to do that even for hair online. Now, back to the skinfood rice mask review.
Skinfood Rice Mask Review
- Packaging: Just like the already reviewed Skinfood black sugar mask wash off, a plastic container with an inner lid but still without a spatula which makes application unhygienic. Though i have a spatula from another product, it would be nice for such packaged products to come with spatulas.
- Ingredients: Cosdna has a lot of it’s ingredients flagged for possible acne trigger and skin irritants, see all of them here but I’ve come to realize that it still depends on one’s skin. I have a very sensitive skin but this mask didn’t trigger any irritation or reduce the fresh pimples i had during the application. I wasn’t expecting it to as that’s not what it’s made for.
- Consistency: This is the main reason i decided to take a break from the black sugar mask to try it. It’s milder on the skin. It has a creamy consistency with ground grain texture. The grains are very mild on skin even on application(massage). It smells a bit like flowers, can’t really place the fragrance but it’s mild.
- Effect on Skin: Maybe i don’t notice it because i already used the black sugar mask, but i don’t see or feel the exfoliating effect of this mask but the brightening effect is obvious. After wash, you can clearly see that your face is brighter. As for me, even though my skin looks brighter it doesn’t feel “squeaky clean” like it does after using the black sugar. It could be as a result of the creamy consistency which makes my face feel like i applied a light oil or lotion after wash. I love that it’s moisturizing and brightening, I guess i’ll get a different mask to have my “squeaky clean” feeling. My dark spots are lighter now too but that would be as a result of combined use with other products not as a result of the mask only.A wash-off mask containing rice extract that leaves skin bright, soft and lustrous! Click To Tweet
- Price and Availability: It’s affordable (costs less than $10) and can be easily found in stores that sell Korean skincare products. I bought mine from Jolse’s Ebay store. I bought it with other products from the store and received a free sheet mask, a charcoal nose strip and different samples. Read: 4 steps to your perfect korean sheet mask experience.
This mask is easy to use. After washing, apply desired amount onto face while avoiding eye and mouth areas. Wait 10 to 15 minutes and then wash off with warm water. The company describes it as “a wash-off mask containing rice extract that moisturizes skin and brightens tone. With its texture of ground rice, it leaves skin bright, soft and lustrous”.
I think this is a nice enough mask for someone looking to brighten dull-looking skin and a mild mask but i’ll be trying other masks after it (because i’m Oliver twist). I’m thinking of trying Elizavecca Milky piggy carbonated bubble clay mask next. I’ve read great reviews about it and the bubbling mechanism is interesting. A wash-off mask containing rice extract that moisturizes skin and brightens tone! Click To Tweet
Was this skinfood rice mask wash off review useful to you? Have you used this mask before or any rice-containing cosmetic/beauty product before? Do share with us!
Thanks for stopping by as always
*P.s. I’m still accepting Guest Saturday posts, get in touch if you will like to contribute.